Wednesday, 31 August 2016

Children’s Rooms on the 1st Floor of the Winter Palace (2)

There are archival documents, paintings and photographs of the children’s rooms on the 1st floor of the northwest corner of the Winter Palace; with more research, I am following up on for my book.

The two bedrooms for the young daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra from 1896 to 1904 were described by M. Eagar as upholstered in pink and green chintz.

The photo below shows the infant Grand Duchess Olga’s bedroom in the Imperial Train in 1896. The highchair is fascinating, similar to today.


From November 22nd, 1903 to January 25th, 1904 an exhibition called ‘Children’s World’ was held in St. Petersburg under the patronage of Empress Marie.

The Imperial family had moved back to the Winter Palace from Tsarskoe Selo on January 13th, 1904. Empress Alexandra then visited the exhibition with her daughters.

After the exhibition closed, the organizers transferred many of the exhibits to the children’s half of the Winter Palace as a gift.

Some of the many items were sets of sofas, armchairs, chairs, tables and a desk. Each daughter received separate gifts. The inventory list from the Exhibition shows one of the special gifts was a saddle for Olga.

The daughters lived in the Winter Palace for only eight years. In my book, I will reveal more details of the rooms; one of which relates to the renovations ordered by Nicholas II of the children’s rooms in 1902-04 and then rarely used.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful that you are writing a book about the Romanov's! They are very interesting to me and I look forward to reading your book; from the little I read (your parts of the book) your book sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful that you are writing a book about the Romanov's! They are very interesting to me and I look forward to reading your book; from the little I read (your parts of the book) your book sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the precious glimpses into the Romanov dynasty, the paintings and photos are the only visuals I see of the opulent grandeur. Hope your book is on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete