Thursday, 6 October 2016

Nicholas II’s Curiosity – Neues Palais in Darmstadt

The Neues Palais on the Wilhelminenplatz in Darmstadt was built by the architect Konrad Kraus for Princess Alice and Prince Ludwig in 1866.

Aerial view (below) of the Neues Palais


The Neues Palais Drawing c1866 (below)


The Neues Palais Garden in Emperor Franz Josef’s 1870 Album (below)


The Neues Palais c1880s (below)


On Sunday, April 10th, 1894 after their engagement, Nicholas and Alix travelled from Coburg to Darmstadt for an overnight visit at the Neues Palais. Nicholas wrote “… Sat in Alix’ rooms and examined them in detail …”

On Wednesday, April 20th, 1894 Alix was back in Darmstadt and Nicholas was on his train returning to St. Petersburg. Alix wrote “… And there you are rattling away in the beastly train, whilst I am comfortable installed in my bed in my own ‘sweet house’ … how glad I am that you have been here and know my rooms a bit …”

In Petra Kleinpenning’s book “The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig”, on Wednesday, July 5th, 1895 Alix wrote to her brother “…the Neues Palais. Madelaine [Zanotti] tells me my bedroom has been newly papered, wh. makes me feel most sad – the pink looked so sweet and bright, and I so longed you would let us sleep there when we come to you. Well, I have no right to grumble, you need the rooms now for other guests…”

Photographs (below) of Alix’ Rooms in the Neues Palais







Photograph of the Neues Palais in 1930s

No comments:

Post a Comment