Wednesday, 30 November 2016

St. Petersburg Photographs c1850s

I am passionate about my research and I am obsessed with following the minutest leads I stumble across. I can’t remember what to buy in the grocery store without a list, yet ask me about the Winter Palace or my next book and I will babble on for hours until your eyes glaze over.

There are times though I stop and delight in the enchantment of my discoveries. One such moment was finding the photographs (below) of St. Petersburg in the 1850s; a window into the past of the city that Nicholas I and his son Alexander knew.

Aerial of the Admiralty and Winter Palace


Winter Palace & Palace Square


New Hermitage & Millionnaya


Winter Palace facing the Admiralty


Aerial Admiralty


Admiralty & Gorokhovaya Ul


St. Isaac’s


Senate & Synod


Statue of Nicholas I, St. Isaac’s Square


Statue of Peter the Great


English Embankment


Nicholas Bridge


Chapel on Nicholas Bridge


Academy of Arts


Nevsky Prospekt


Kazan Cathedral


Anichkov Bridge


Alexandrinsky Theatre


Mikhailovsky Castle



Mariinsky Theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment